Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Akron/Family, Gallery of Modern Art, Friday 30th of September 2011


Akron/Family are could be best described as harmonic folk transformed into drug induced tribal psychadelia, or something that makes more sense. It's not easy as they go into all sorts of territory, becoming more complex and layered as their albums progressed. Their self titled debut was my first taste of the band, whom I discovered on a Spunk Sampler that was attached to my copy of 'Come on Feel the Illinoise' by Sufjan Stevens. That first album was the beautiful harmonic folk side of the band, with moments of synth, distortion, and tribal country elements without taking over the gorgeous flow of the record. First impressions often have the most impact and hence their first is my favourite, but that's not to discount the brilliance of their later albums, particularly 'Meek Warrior', 'Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free', and their latest, 'S/T II: The Cosmic Birth And Journey Of Shinju TNT' which is fast becoming a favourite of mine this year. As they've continued to grow, the harmonic folk has remained in some way, but morphing into more of the crazy features that were peppered in their first album.

Fittingly, A/F's first Brisbane show was chosen as the closing act for the Gallery of Modern Art's (GOMA)latest 'Up Late' season. 'Up Late' involves musical artists playing in the gallery hall every Friday night for a number of weeks, as part of their latest exhibition. This season's exhibition involved Surrealism, and due to A/F's regular exploration into the slightly weird and abstract, there could not be a better choice for musical guest. While I enjoy my visual art, I'm a bit art retarded, which is not why I hadn't checked out the exhibition before tonight, that was mostly due to laziness. I regret this, as there wasn't much chance to truly explore the ins and outs of the gallery on this evening. Things had changed since I last went there, with an inside bar leading up to the stage area and funky lounges and chairs around for pre-drinks. Pity there was not only no sign of an ATM around, but also a ridiculous queue, or I possibly could have enjoyed this new set up. That's my only whine I promise.


Anyway, the 3 (only 3?) bearded members of the band came on slowly, Miles on the synth/loops/crazy dodads, Seth on guitar/crazy dodads, and Dana hiding away at the back on drums/crazy dodads. They began to build up a bit of a synth wall of sound for what felt like 20 minutes but was probably more like 5... or 10. Instrumental blare is fine, but it worried me slightly that this was all going to be difficult abstract noise rather than structured songs. Luckily I needn't have worried, as they finally launched into "River", sounding crisp and fresh, and absolutely jubilant. The band continued through a few more earlier songs, such as "Ed Is A Portal" amongst most tracks off their new one. Highlights included the murderous bass and then cheerful philosophy of "A AAA O A WAY/So It Goes", the lovely "Light Emerges" with Seth on vocals, and "Another Sky" in which not only did their guitar fiddling skills get a work out, but so did the audience vocals in a well encouraged sing-a-long. It was also where Miles and Seth decided to get down and have a jig with the audience, looking more excitable than some of the audience members.


Interspersed within and between songs were more electronic jams, including at one point an explosion of what sounded like distorted scratchings of a record overblown to leave me clutching at my ears in pain. Half of the time these moments were delightful soundscapes, the other half, I found myself trying to send telepathic messages for them to get on with it. Nonetheless, weird indulgent instrumentals are what come with the style and territory, and it did flow quite well and connect the songs together nicely, in most cases. Even when Miles decided we all had to close our eyes with one hand up in the air, and relax for a few minutes.

When things got melodic, it was absolutely gorgeous, and true to the album tracks in every way. They swapped vocals, roles and instruments effortlessly with an amazing group vibe. Their harmonies were magnificent and so lush and perfect, it was hard to believe there were only 3 guys onstage. When harmonic indie bands are pretty in at the moment, I think these guys give the others a run for their money, even the likes of Grizzly Bear and such, whose live show I feel was vocally not as collectively, consistently good.
The sad fact of the gig was the fact that nothing from my favourite album was played, which I had convinced myself would happen, strangely enough. I naively would have loved to hear some of the acoustic offerings from it but I had thought they would at least play "Running, Returning". At least for their Brisbane audiences on their first show here? I assume a gallery show does reduce the setlist somewhat however, despite being an awesome venue choice.


As has been the custom for me lately, we were ushered out within 10 minutes of the band finishing up. I know, I lied, my earlier whine was not my last. But if GOMA is going to call something "Up Late", can they at least give us a bit of time to exit the gallery instead of demanding we leave at 10.30 on the dot? Aw come on. Please?
GOMA has made Brisbane a hundred times better than it was though, so I should shut my whiney mouth. I still love you GOMA, especially for hosting one of my favourite bands in all their bizarre glory.

Akron/Family get 8 out of 10 self made theremin thingies.

No comments:

Post a Comment