Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Custard (as part of the Brisbane Festival), Brisbane Powerhouse, Saturday 17th September, 2011.


Last year I caught a few acts presented as part of the Brisbane festival (Dan Kelly and Ed Kuepper), and consequently ended up in one of those focus groups for cash. The group wanted to know how we thought the rather un-famous Brisbane Festival could be improved. I was the youngest and gen-y-est of the group, otherwise consistently largely of people into theatre, art, and the combination of the two (performance art) dance, cabaret, medieval role play, and circus type dealio stuff. My contribution consisted of my love of the Brisbane music scene, and how I think Brisbane festival would bring in some extra punters (particularly my demographic) if they showcased a history of Brisbane musical artists bringing to light how the Brisbane scene formed and developed. I included examples such as the Saints, LaughingClowns, Go-Betweens, Riptides, Custard, Grates, Regurgitator, and a trillion others, yes even Violent Soho. No one seemed to really care for what I was talking about, as early on in the piece many of the contributors passed off this ridiculous "alternative indie hipster" music as being ho hum and boring. But I do feel like perhaps maybe someone thought that one of the bands I mentioned would be a good idea to get involved in the festival. Because lo and behold, when this years Brisbane festival itinerary was announced, Custard was on the bill! You are welcome.

So, Custard, if you don't know, were formed not far from my current residence, and were lead by the everyman vocalist Dave McCormack, Matt Strong on guitar, Glenn Thompson on drums, and Paul Medew on bass. They left an amazing legacy behind (if you ask me) which Dave has attempted to continue through consistent projects such as the Titanics, the Polaroids, and just plain Dave, which are all great things. However it is hard not to long for that excellent combination of musicians that brought together Custard.
Custard have put on a few reunion gigs, one at the Q150 celebration (early 2010??) and the Float On Flood Benefit gig early this year. I couldn't attend either due to a clash and also a flash of ticket sales. With no clashes, and shitty advertising, I was able to safely secure a ticket for myself and parentals, to their Brisbane festival show.

Naturally due to said parentals, things had to be more complicated than they should be, and we arrived there within a few minutes of the band making it onstage. I felt quite young again! Hooray! My parents fit in like a couple of pensioners on a citytrain from Maryborough. We were seated on a grandstand which had been set up especially on the side of the Powerhouse, which filled up nicely with a bit of room to move (and dance if you were up the top). The band kicked off with Goofinder, and seconded with Pack Yr Suitcases, and it was all onwards and upwards from there, just how I imagined them to be live.

The hits came thick and fast, in between brief relaxed banter from Dave and Matt, well as relaxed as could be within the 60 minute timeframe. "Anatomically Correct", "Nice Bird," , "Pinball Les" "I Feel Like Ringo", "Alone", "Apartment", "Hit Song"... they were all there, blazing with energy and all the charm they exuded in their heyday, as if time had never passed. "Girls Like That (Don't Go For Guys Like Us)" began as fresh as the day I saw it on 'Rage', and, listening for it, I was amused by Dave changing the line "For I am considering/A move to South America" to a more relevant "A move to Wooloongabba". Nice one Dave.

I hadn't fully realized what excellent musicians they are until watching them in action together. Matt is true to his namesake as an exceptionally strong guitarist, and murdered each song with power and complete enjoyment. Glenn Thompson was equally brilliant on the drums and even David did a good job on the drums during their brief instrument swap for "Music Is Crap". And bassist Paul was superb, camping it up to perfection during their disco-esque songs to groove the audience.

swapsies!

As their last song before their rushed encore, Dave began to sing the familiar words "In discos...", the opening lines to "Caboolture Speed Lab". And so I was able to fulfill my childhood dream of rocking out in the audience to this song, sing loudly to "GET BACK INTO THE HERE AND NOW" until the end of it, then stick two fingers up in the air and scream "CABOOLTURE REPRESENT!"*. I so thoroughly enjoyed hearing such a prominent song from my younger days. Not only is it the best named song in the universe, but it is also one of their most satisfyingly catchy best.

Ending the set with a much older favourite "Bedford" and "Pluto", from their last album 'Loverama', they left the audience with broad smiles and the huge desire for more. You could see that the band themselves were also leaving with smiles and the vibe that they absolutely loved playing these songs again, and would have been happy to continue. It would have been so nice to have got a bit more than the tight set they were allowed, but the feeling of immense elation and satisfaction of such a well played, pleasing performance, took over this thought. I was so happy to have my first and perhaps (but surely not) only Custard live experience, so for that, I am grateful. The fact it was also amazing makes me a very, very, pleased young gen-y-er.


9 bowls of jelly out of 10.

*No I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment