Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Monday, August 1, 2011

PULP. Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, 27th July 2011

A few years ago if you were to ask me which bands I really wanted to see before I died, Pulp would probably have not made the list. Not that I didn't enjoy their music at that point but I really wouldn't have expected them to regroup for a tour, so the thought would not have occurred to me. Enter the SPLENDOUR lineup for this year, and that was all I could think about for a good solid week. PULP? REALLY? HECK YES I WILL. I'M THERE. THEY'RE MY FAVOURITE!

Uuuunfortunately $550 off the bat is hard to come by, and I had to compromise on a ticket where they were the biggest drawcard. Luckily, a sideshow at the Hordern Pavilion was a good excuse to catch up with some Sydney friends, as well as get a better show than Splendour could have allowed. Everyone wins! Except that I didn't get to see Kanye's ballerinas. Ah well.

I had hyped up this show for months in my head, and couldn't wait to hear some of my favourite songs sung by the legendary Jarvis Cocker in the flesh. There was no way it could be a let down. The Hordern was brimming with loads of patrons my age and younger (which surprised some, as Pulp's heyday was when I was about 12), and was a pretty decent venue for something called a pavilion- much more laid back, easy to access and much better set out than the Brisbane Ent Centre or QPAC.


Local act Belles Will Ring came on as support, and were an appropriate and entertaining choice, bringing some gritty sixties pop sounds to the stage. They had a slightly Shin's style, but with extremely catchy guitar driven licks, rather than a lyrical focus. With hand-claps and a Zooey Deschanel stand-in with not much more than a tambourine, their songs were upbeat and had a slight surfey vibe combined with some wonderful harmonies. The five piece appeared no stranger to live performance, and played very tightly as a group, both guitarists feeding off each other with each change of pace. Either I recognised a few of the songs or they were the type of tunes I could easily get stuck in my brain.

Despite my keeness for Pulp, I was happy to hear more and I am keen to check out their catalogue. But OMG THEY FINISHED IS IT PULP TIME YET?!
As I waited with the crowd (only one person from the front, HUZZAH), in immense anticipation, a screen hiding the unlit P U L P neon signs began to sport some green lasers projected on to them, forming words asking us questions such as "WELL, ARE YOU READY?" "DO YOU WANT TO GO OUT WITH ME? OKAY, MEET ME AT THE BAR" "DO YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME?" and "WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE A DOLPHIN?".... dolphin cartoon ensuing. The questions were mostly met with excitable cheering and were a nice little intro to the set... but by the last one I was a bit over the novelty and just wanted to see the band come on.
Soon, as promised, the opening chords of "Do You Remember The First Time" began, and the neon sign lit up behind the screen. As the music built up, the screen awkwardly fell down (I assume it was to come down at the beginning of the first chorus in one easy swoop! But life.) revealing Jarvis, Russell, Mark, Nick, Steve and Candida in all their glory. Large band.

As expected, I could not fault the performance of one of their best songs... They immediately sounded amazing, guitars echoing and drums pumping better than on record, and Jarvis crooning like he was still anticipating the year 2000. After a fantastic opener, Jarvis had a little chat with us about the weather, and on they went again. Not only did the frontman add a healthy bit of banter in between each song, but it was exceptionally difficult to tear your eyes off him during each song.

watch that maaannnnn

He was so involved with every word, every syllable, and every beat with full energy, bending and shaping hisbody in time with the music like it was his life force. At the end of a few of the songs, he seemed to dramatically collpse in a heap; as if putting so much energy into each movement was completely exhausting. Despite this tiring, his humour and charm did not fade a second. He is one of those fantastic frontmen, who despite his 50+ age (to the shock of some concertgoers), has you in the palm of his hand, totally wanting to succumb to his in your face sex appeal. All he had to do was take off his jacket and tie to get the ladies screaming, which he found quite amusing.

Ladies, please.

With help from the exceptional guitarists, synth, and strings at some lucky moments, he painted a complete picture during each song, drawing you into the stories, moods and emotions... During "F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E." he took you right there to the core of that awful but awesome feeling (called love), climbing up on the stage during the appropriate verse (see pic below), and jumping up and down like the world has rightly gone mad during the explosive chorus. I was soooo happy to hear "This Is Hardcore", one of my favourites, and Jarvis and the band took you through those dark dirty fantasies as portrayed in the lyrics so that by the end of the song you feel like you've gone through it, leaving you a bit rough, overwhelmed, and a little guilty. "Sorted for E's and Whizz" was introduced with Jarvis deciding that their smoke machine was actually pumping out amphetamine gas and we were all about to feel a little strange. During "I Spy", he stepped down to the front audience to shine a green spytorch into the crowd, as he sang to them into the microphone (naw not me.) Afterwards he shared his amusement that one of the ladies he had pointed the torch to could only ask (in a put on ridiculous voice) 'Are you gonna play Babies!? Are you gonna play Babies?! ' which was his introduction to "Babies". Ahhhhhh a definite highlight, and probably my favourite song.

"So what do I do? I've got a sightly sick feeling in my stomach... like I'm standing on top of a very tall building..."

"Common People" was an ultimate crowd pleaser and everyone sang their hearts out (eh, anything could have been going on onstage and they would have been satisfied). But what exactly do you do for an encore? "Like A Friend" and "Live Bed Show" saw us out, with a personal highlight "Misshapes". My fist got a bit pumpy there, sorry audience. I would have liked to hear "Party Hard" as I heard they did in Melbourne, as well as some "Razzmatazz", but really, even the songs I'm not as keen on were absolutely excellent tonight, and those I more passively enjoyed (e.g. "Bad Cover Version" and "Sunrise"), were so much more appreciated after their on stage performance.
Everything about the show was executed with extreme vibrancy. It was more than just a concert, without needing anything more than a fabulous frontman, brilliant musicians, and okay.. a little bit of lighting for effect.
Maybe they are only back for the cashies, but they look like they are having the time of their lives and would happily be doing this for free. Jarvis may have always been a skinny odd chap, and getting on in age, but just like Bowie, he still absolutely shines with sex appeal, rockstar presence, and that special x factor you can't quite put your finger on.

It has been a pretty good year so far for international live music, and this one takes the absolute cake. I really don't know how I can fault this performance, but I'll give myself room to move.
9 and a half flung knickers out of 10.

That happened too. No, they weren't mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment