Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gareth Liddiard and Dan Kelly, the Zoo, 26th April, 2011

I like the Drones. I like the couple of well crafted powerful songs that I've come to know, although i have not purchased an album. However, I don't like them enough to say they're these genius mentalists, and hence I have not an album. I saw them at the Hifi when it first opened, and it was enjoyable, but i have to say, it began to bore me by the time the last spitting poetic ballad was on. It's extremely hip (and hippie) to hail them as one of the best australian bands and Gareth Liddiard, front man, as a lyrical saviour. i have to say i have not studied him enough to say either, but i do feel a little put off. Still, at my mother's suggestion, I came along to the Gareth/Dan Kelly gig (one of my mum's favourites) to check his solo thing out.

It was the third (or fourth??) time I'd seen Dan Kelly, so I knew what to expect from the rockabilly fringed tongue in cheek nephew of Paul. He came on stage advertising a sore throat, and despite this pulled off a well executed, entertaining acoustic set comprising of his most
recent and previous Triple J played songs ('Hits' is not the word I would use??) Dan chatted to the small crowd gathered in front of him, myself included front and centre, simply because there was more than enough room for me there. He carried through tale after tale, and probably tattleda little too much, but not too much that he didn't get a decent bunch of songs in. He played 'Dan Kelly's Dream' tracks such as "I'm Coming on", "Bindi Irwin Apocolypse Jam" and the title track in his varied, talky style, making good use of himself with just a guitar and voice, and remarking on bits "where the band sounds really cool".


Dan got the smallish crowd singing along and cheering and appeared genuinely grateful to have us here, despite knowing this sold out show was thanks to the headline act. I like Dan, much to a few close people's dismay, but I do feel his jokey manner overshadows and cheapens his talent. Some of his songs are really outstanding and he has the alt country vibe with an added creative twist, but the novelty cheek (see "Bindi" and "Drunk on Election Night") can become a little weary, so that he's in danger of becoming a joke fad musician. It's all well and fun, but I'd like to see a serious side, until before he realises it, he becomes a joke himself in his middle-aged years, ala the likes of Ben Folds.
Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed his performance... the fact he doesn't take himself too seriously makes for a great connection with his audience and a good show. At the end of it, my parents were a few wines in, and knowing that Dan is a Brisbane brought up fellow, and that my cousin went to the same school as him, tried to egg me on to talk to him and "see if he remembers *JOHN SMITH*, eh!??? DO IT!! GO ON!! GO ON!!!" 'Oh excuse me Mr k=Kelly! Do
you remember this guy who was at your school and you may have seen some times in your youth?' No fucking way was that going to happen. This is why you go to gigs with sensibles and not crazy ageing hipsters.

After they settled down, Gareth Liddiard decided to show up, in all his scruff. Gareth prattled on for as long as Dan did... then a little longer.. then longer still.. until it was evident that he probably wasn't going to ever shut up. I couldn't really understand what he was going on about
most of the time, so to be completely honest, I didn't listen too attentively. Eventually within the rambling, Gareth played a song. A slow, boring, ranty, unengaging mess. He played a few more just like that, continuing to talk way too long in between songs. As he continued, it was obvious how wasted he was, and totally uninterested in entertaining anyone but himself. His words were brash and rude, and even admitted that "This'd be embarrassing if I cared". Glad to see you appreciate the fandom of the ones that do, Gareth.


Half way through (of what I saw), he broke a string, prompting Dan to come up and assist him by fixing it up. Much later, the same process resumed. It was painful, tedious, and quite a waste of time. We chatted amongst ourselves (mostly damning this whole affair), at the side of the room near the window, and kept getting awkward glances from a few people watching him faithfully next to us. Eventually, our chatting incensed one guy so much, he turned to us, said "SHHHHH!" and gave us the finger. Well man, if you're going to take this crap, you are welcome to it, I thought; the others agreed, and we left the die hard nutty fans to the fucked up wanker on the stage.

I felt dirty for leaving early without a prior reason apart from that we were too bored, but i don't think i could have taken much more of it. At least Dan saved the night with his professionalism, and better manipulated talent. i understand that being a rockstar often means being hyped up
on drugs, alcohol, etc. but even the most wasted musicians known for their excess still managed to put on a decent performance. This guy totally ruined any desire for me to discover any more of his music, and make a better assessment of his lyrical ability. Sorry Gareth, I really am.

Gareth gets 1 broken string for at least making it to the stage, and Dan gets 6 intact strings plus Gareth's broken one.

No comments:

Post a Comment