Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Books, The Zoo, 19th Feb 2011

Now put on some undergarments, and go deeper... and deeper... and deeper...

NYC based duo The Books have been described as experimental, avant-garde sound collagists, which is somewhat of an apt description, however it doesn't quite describe fully what it is the Books do. Cutting up samples from random films, self halp and language tapes, soundbytes, and even old Talkboys found in thrift stores ("This is Peter McCallister here, the Faartherr.") are arranged and intertwined to tell stories and create moods enhanced by synth, guitar, violin and subtle vocals. They are really a band unlike no other and really best experienced rather than described, which is why their first Brisbane tour ever (geez) on February the 19th was quite highly anticipated.

High places supported, an LA based duo, and had a similar synth, sample and vocal theme, albeit on a very different scale. Their music was somewhat simple but quite effective and interesting, and I found myself moving along to it as as if I had already heard the songs before, which I could tell have some addictive properties to them. I'd like to check them out again soon if I get around to it. I'll more likely find myself in Rockinghorse thinking "what was that band I wanted to check out" and end up buying another $10 cheapie instead, but give me time...

High Places along with the Books later, lamented about the heat, marvelling at the condensation in the air that they don't normally get in the US. I have to say I do feel for bands that come out here from cooler lands, and are expected to play in at times non-airconditioned, badly ventilated venues (an exercise which is pretty heat inducing already), in the most disgusting of climates.


As the Books came on, flanked by a large video display, it was a very different vibe and scene from previous Zoo gigs, particularly the one earlier that week (the sold out Caribou/Four Tet). Correctly expecting a small crowd, the floor was set up with tables and chairs on the side, and many were sitting back to enjoy the show from a distance. Which suited me wonderfully, as I plonked myself in front and centre for an excellent view.

The DVD display behind the band had small acronyms along the bottom which sneakily told us how many songs to expect, while singer/guitarist Nick Zammuto flicked through them with a remote to cue each video. The band introduced Gene, their new guitarist/violinist/synthist, whom meant they could play a few of the more difficult tracks from their earlier albums.
However, they began with "Group Autogenics I" from their newest, 'The Way Out', a song involving samples from self help cassettes and DVD's, with accompanying images of the supposed speakers. It is a very humorous tune as well as video, at which myself and the audience excitedly giggled at the nonsensical empowering statements and accompanying images, such as "You may just possibly be able to detect from my voice that I am Irish. And it's now I leap forward in time". It was a whimsical, wonderful beginning, unlike any opening of a band I'd ever experienced before. The band played soothing music with slightly dark undertones, along with the dialogue, on their various interesting instruments, including a skeletal cello thing played by Paul De Jong.

The entire show followed this very different format, as the musicians covered all their best work, with particular emphasis on those on Way Out, highlights being the morbidly hilarious and childish "A Cold Freezing Night", schizophrenic catch-phrased "I Didn't Know That", and sweetly acoustic "Free Translator", consisting of lyrics generated from translating english phrases back and forward from different languages on internet translating sites. Along with this less sample-based song, they performed a few others of this style, including the wonderful Smells Like Content. A favourite of mine, it was sung with beautiful vocals from Nick, accompanied by the lyrics appearing onscreen, perfectly timed with their verbalisation.

Ahh, Geeeene!

They encored with Take Time, and then finally, their cover of Nick Drake's "Cello Song" (minus Jose Gonzales), a lovely and surprise finish.
All in all it was simply amazingggggggg. It was hard to quite fathom how this insane band managed to pull of their crazy method live, so well and with so little effort... APART from a brief few moments when the computer froze (this time a Toshiba!), but not as much to the detriment of Caribou. As I said earlier, this QLD weather is very unkind to bands at the moment.
I feel so lucky to have had the rare opportunity to witness their magic onstage, and I'd be really sad if it was the last. I was also sad to see a much emptier Zoo this time around, and expected more people to be as keen for the Books as I was. But nonetheless... The Books, whoever you think you presently you are.... thankyou.

9 out of 10 um, books.

p.s. I dare you to youtube the Books to check them out for yourself, if you haven't already, and also dare you to tear your eyes away from this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqlVCKfX3hk

No comments:

Post a Comment