Just another music lover's gig review blog.

Richard Ashcroft (moments before hissy fit)

Monday, December 20, 2010

GORILLAZ, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, 19th of December 2010 +++++ Little Dragon, Woodland Bar, 18th December 2010



*note, this BEC trend will not be continuing for much longer, thank god...*

Ladies and gentlemen, a double post for you today. Why? Because my concert experience on this particular weekend was not really just a singular experience, it was more of a build up of excellence. I have long anticipated just being able to see Damon Albarn do any thing at all in the flesh, and when I heard Gorillaz were finally coming to Brisbane in all their glory, I must admit I did wee myself a little. Managing to secure myself a GA spot pretty quickly, all was peachy in stephconcertanticipationworld.
But it got better!! With the release of Gorillaz's new album, Plastic Beach, I knew that guests who collaborated on it would hopefully arrive in our humble city to play their parts at the show. I was really happy to find out however, that not only would De La Soul be supporting (wowzer) but also Little Dragon, who thanks to their guests spots on Plastic Beach and the invention of dropbox (tymvykwya), I have been growing extremely fond of this year.
But wait, there's still more! THEN I found out that not only were Little Dragon supporting, but they were also playing a show the night before at Woodland bar, one of our desperately needed new music venues here in Brislame.
Well it wouldn't be so desperately needed if they just quit closing down the already good venues, but i digress.


......later!!......


Myself and a good friend, (name changed to 'gig buddy' for privacy reasons), made our way to the Woodland bar, in anticipation for Little Dragon's pre-gorillaz show. We to'd and fro'd a bit and thus missed most of the support act Mitzi, which seemed pretty good from the one song we heard. The venue was quaint and intimate, but not too small, and the pictures of nature on the wall of the stage tied in with the Woodland theme. Naturally, due to it's newness, music selection and kitsch, hipsters abounded.
Little Dragon came on at about midnight, which is hell of too late if you ask me, but us 24-25 yr old grandmas managed to stay awake and energized. Lead singer Yukimi was dressed in a kimono and looked cute as a button, and began the set banging the life out of a wooden instrument as per the beginning of 'A New' from their latest Machine Dreams. A lot of the set was Machine Dreams stuff, which is all very good luckily, but I would have preferred a little more of their self titled one, which is a little slower, more variable and sensual than the dancey Machine Dreams.
Not long after they started, the group of drunk people in front of us starting dancing in a manner which suggested they needed to show the length of their limbs off in the most outrageous way
possible, so that we were in danger of being knocked out. Usually I would move out of the way a bit, tut to myself and be okay, but the crowd and my patience did not allow for this. I think I'm growing old and hot headed- I used to be able to handle gig idiots (there are always at least one) but I'm tiring of them much quicker these days. Gig buddy and I decided to move over to the couches at the back and prop ourselves on top, giving us a better and more comfortable view.
The band played an epic set, I wouldn't be surprised if they played all of the new album's material. Yukimi's vocals were lovely, but came out a little bit distorted to my ears, perhaps a venue issue, as did some of the instruments. It was all entertaining however... the band flowed from song to song with ease, Yukimi sang and moved with passion and expression. It was song after song of groovy, sensual bliss.
As they played their final song before the encore, my gig buddy was disappointed not to hear 'Twice' the first off their self titled and a song she really loved. Luckily the encore opened with that exact song, which was delicately and sweetly done (their slowest and subtlest of the set). We were pretty chuffed at that and it left a nice feeling to take home with us... at 1.30 in the morning. Yawwwwwwwn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


......... THE FOLLOWING NIGHT!!!.....




After such a late night I was excited yet a bit worried about the impending (and likely long) gig at the huge and uncomfortable Ent. Centre. Luckily it was all very pleasant. We got in there in good time, got a decent spot, and the crowd was pretty amicable all in all (no sweaty teenagers here!!) Everything ran pretty much spot on time. Little Dragon came on, Yukimi in the same kimono, opening with the same song, this time with a bit clearer sound (same volume in bigger room??). They only played 4 or 5 songs before they made way for De La Soul. It was clear that De La Soul were here to get the crowd pumped for Gorillaz, plus to throw in a bit of their material to keep the fans happy as well. They teased and joked with the crowd, getting us to join in on chants and competitions as to which area was the loudest, amongst performing a small selection of their classics. It was good fun and I wish I could have seen more of them. But no time for that, Gorillaz time muthafukkas!!!!!!!!!!!
It was all pretty neat the way they aimed to present us with the cartoon band, turning into the live band, and cutting back and forth between real life and cartoon life aided by the massive
video screen behind the performers. We were presented with a slightly cheesy video of the band backstage, getting ready, as the huge amount of musicians took their place. As that finished, the orchestra began with the opening piece of the new album, leading into the Snoop Dogg collaborated track 'Welcome To The World Of the Plastic Beach'. But of course, Snoop not being part of the crew, he sang his lines as projected on the video screen, complete with top hat and telescope (most likely the music video for the song). Somehow this all worked instead of being really bizarre and corny. As this went on and the band and backup singers performed, I managed to pick out the main players, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon, and finally Damon Albarn. Once I spotted him it was hard for me to stop smiling like a big stupid childish girly girl.


DAMON!
(Still learning how to properly use iphone cameras. Tips??!)

It was only uphill from there, as the band played an excellent selection from their three albums. I was really happy to hear 'Last Living Souls', one of my favourites off Demon Days, and even 'El MaƱana', which I did not expect. I was especially thrilled to hear 'Tomorrow Comes Today', and 'Punk' (even more unexpected), from the first album. There was of course the bigger hits, 'Dare', 'Dirty Harry' and '19/2000', with songs from Plastic Beach providing the bulk of the setlist. The stunning carton visuals complementing the songs made the whole thing a giant smorgasbord for the senses, if you pardon my language.
This was the last gig of the Australian tour and the second last of the world tour, and you could tell it had been a great run. The infinity people onstage were full of energy, pride and excitement, the most of all being Damon, who jumped around on stage like the happiest kid in the playground. Damon performed as if in awe of his creation around him, so chuffed to have so many awesome people involved, and being able to share it with everyone. During 'White Flag' he ran around in a circle waving said flag for a good portion of the song like he was on speed. His energy is that of the younger Blur frontman he was, and his voice while perhaps deeper with age, is still pristine.

White Flag

Highlights were also the guest performers, particularly The National Orchestra for Arabic Music for 'White Flag', De La Soul for 'Superfast Jellyfish' and Yukimi for 'Empire Ants' (which was amazing) and 'To Binge'. I didn't really like 'To Binge' on the album, but live it became something quite lovely, as Yukimi and Damon dueted with quite beautiful chemistry, finishing with Damon giving her a sweet kiss on the cheek. The best guest for me however was Bobby Womack, who, despite appearing like all this touring was a bit tiring for him, sang brilliantly. He opened the encore seated on a chair, with 'Cloud of Unknowing', a beautiful melancholy song, which set the tone for the perfect encore.

Bobby
(again, any iphone camera tips will be greatly appreciated.)

What we expected to hear was next, 'Feel Good Inc', and then 'Clint Eastwood'. My one lowlight, if I had to be picky, was that instead of the lyrics I had memorized well over the years, guests Bashy and Kano sang a different rap over the verses for 'Clint Eastwood', which I was slightly disappointed by. I was just so looking forward to singing "THAT IT'S ALL IN YOU' HEAD!!!" at the top of my lungs, but never mind!
The show finished in the best possible way, with the closing two tracks from Demon Days, Don't 'Get Lost in Heaven' and 'Demon Days'. It was a beautiful, moving, feel good ending with the performers giving their all for those last few moments. If there was one single person not grinning like an idiot by the end of the show then they did not deserve to be there.
As the show ended, I felt an immensely confusing sense of giddy happiness due to what I had just experienced, and heartfelt sadness that it was all over.
One thing is for sure, as 2010 drew to a close, it just slips in there to be the best concert of the year I've attended, and one of the top 10 concerts I've been to in my life. Which means I need to revise my list. Damn you, Gorillaz.


No comments:

Post a Comment